PDA

View Full Version : Weyrling Lessons?

pern_queen_rider
20th June 2005, 12:05 AM
THey never gget into very much detail...so this is what I use when I am the Weyrling Mistress...whatda guys think?

*Lesson Plan:
Part 1:
1. Bathing/Oiling/Feeding-basic care
2. History while doing lesson 1
3. Scores & basic injuries
4. First flight/Safty Harnesses(to be practiced in every post)
5. Dragonetics
6. Flamestone/Flamethrowers-basic care, use
7. Use of lesson 6 on dragon
8. Formations
9. Lesson 7 in formation
10. Mock threadfall in form. using lesson 6
11. Full flight in gear
12. Quiz/Test

Part 2:
1. greens & queens: Flights
2. Bronzes/browns: catching queens
3. other colors: catching greens
4. dreamcatchers/new set of Safty Harnesses
5. Offical Graduation/Weyr assignment
6. assignment to Wing

*any item in this plan is due to change.

Lady Arwyn
20th June 2005, 01:58 AM
Part 3 #2... all males catch greens. Maybe you should combine 2/3 to be "catching females", going over how golds and greens are different, etc.

Generally Wingleaders or Wingseconds look over the older Weyrlings and choose them to fit in the WIng. "Hey, that one over there is pretty quick, he would fit in well between D'uh and D'oh" or "That brown is rather small, more like a blue, and we have plenty of blues that size. Hey, doesn't K'rill need something that size?"

Seems rather like a pro-sports draft, or more mature manner of kids picking teams.

Azarias
20th June 2005, 03:16 AM
I'm not clear on how you have this lesson plan structured. Are these all distinct units that come one after another? Do you teach each one in sequence, and only one at a time? What's the time-span you're looking at here?

In general, I dislike the fanon convention of weyrling class graduation. That doesn't make sense in a Weyr, when each dragonriders needs to enter a fighting Wing the moment he or she is read and not a moment before or after. Once the dragons get to a certain age, it makes more sense for the Weyrlingmaster and various wing officers to evaluate them for their skills in general and how well they'd fit into a specific wing in particular. It's more labor intensive than graduating in bulk and assigning more or less at random, but they're having to be integrated into a fighting unit that is going to be the focus of their lives for the foreseeable future, and that extra effort in assuring a good fit is going to save lives.

What's a dreamcatcher? I mean, I know what it means on Earth, but what's it mean here?

What are dragonetics?

What sort of history are they learning?

What kind of tests do they take? Are you looking at something written, or at a series of practicals?

Lady Arwyn
20th June 2005, 03:29 AM
In general, I dislike the fanon convention of weyrling class graduation. That doesn't make sense in a Weyr, when each dragonriders needs to enter a fighting Wing the moment he or she is read and not a moment before or after. Once the dragons get to a certain age, it makes more sense for the Weyrlingmaster and various wing officers to evaluate them for their skills in general and how well they'd fit into a specific wing in particular. It's more labor intensive than graduating in bulk and assigning more or less at random, but they're having to be integrated into a fighting unit that is going to be the focus of their lives for the foreseeable future, and that extra effort in assuring a good fit is going to save lives.
Yeah, what Azarias said. I was trying to say the same thing, but she said it better.

pern_queen_rider
20th June 2005, 04:12 AM
Yeah, what Azarias said. I was trying to say the same thing, but she said it better.
One lesson at a time....
History: Moreta/Ancients/General Lord Holders/
Dragonetics: build of a cdragon, chromosones, etc, they found Kitti Pings programs and someone decoded it, don't know who

Dremacatchers are kinda special. Their a symbol, with their special colors, the color of the draogn, and the Weyrs color in a dreamcatcher. Its to represent..let see here...oh yeah "strong health to dragon and rider, may they serve a weyr well" symbol, when arider dies, if they were special, it is saved, but normally they are burned...

Bronze-Dragonrider
20th June 2005, 04:29 AM
I'm not sure if these are entirely accurate, they all seem to vary a bit, but they might be helpful.
http://www.geocities.com/BRWeyr/weyrlingguide.html
http://arolosweyr.co.uk/arolos.php?p=weyrling.html
There is another excellant one, but I can't find it. All I can remember was it was on a dark green background...

NeouofPern
20th June 2005, 03:45 PM
I would seperate harnesses, and getting young dragons used to them, as one lesson, and then gradual sitting on the dragon, and THEN flying. Loading that much onto a dragon is stressful, all at once.

Lady Arwyn
20th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Also, even as fast as dragons grow, it would take a turn (at least) for them to be rideable. That's room for alot off lessons in that time. A very young dragon, in it's first few months would be growing incredibly fast, it would take a huge amount of time for simply feeding, bathing and oiling every day. Rather than history lessons while doing that, do dragon physiology (you've got a dragon under your hands!), dragon first-aid and treatment for not Thread injuries.

FOrmations are probably best learned first on a chalkboard when the Weyrlings are about 6 months old, then done on the ground, first with just riders, then riders sitting on their dragons.

Firestone training is probably best done at about age 9 months, so that they have good basic flame control BEFORE they are in the air.

Safety harnesses would be one of the last things you do before the dragons learn to fly, you don't want to waste good leather (wherhide) fitting dragons (and growing teenagers!) for harnesses that won't fit when it comes time to fly

I would imagine it would take a week or two before I would trust a rider on a newly flighted dragon, and three months before I'd trust them to deliver firestone. Then a few months in a Weyrling training Wing, learning to fight thread until they have the skills to be safe in a regular wing in Threadfall. I would expect that a Weyrling Wing in training would fly Fall about like the Queen's Wing, lower than the rest, where there is less Thread and less stress on youngsters.

You might want to add some kind of counciling or a class on loss. Appearantly nearly 1/3 of Weyrlings don't live through their training to join the WIngs, or are permanantly injured before getting to join the Wings.

Oh, and a class on being a Watchrider or courier, appearantly many Weyrlings spend some time as Watchriders and couriers before being allowed to join the Wings. Those who are under age 16 when their dragon flies aren't allowed to fly Thread, they are givein other jobs. For those who Impress at age 12-14, that means 1-3 turns of make-work before they are assigned to a wing.

TamTam
20th June 2005, 10:58 PM
THey never gget into very much detail...so this is what I use when I am the Weyrling Mistress...whatda guys think?

*Lesson Plan:
Part 1:
1. Bathing/Oiling/Feeding-basic care
2. History while doing lesson 1
3. Scores & basic injuries
4. First flight/Safty Harnesses(to be practiced in every post)
5. Dragonetics
6. Flamestone/Flamethrowers-basic care, use
7. Use of lesson 6 on dragon
8. Formations
9. Lesson 7 in formation
10. Mock threadfall in form. using lesson 6
11. Full flight in gear
12. Quiz/Test

Part 2:
1. greens & queens: Flights
2. Bronzes/browns: catching queens
3. other colors: catching greens
4. dreamcatchers/new set of Safty Harnesses
5. Offical Graduation/Weyr assignment
6. assignment to Wing

*any item in this plan is due to change.
At what point do they learn how to make jumps between?

Brenda
20th June 2005, 11:14 PM
Also sweepriders.

There's a good example of a weyrling lecture in Dragonseye/Red Star Rising, where an adult blue dragon is being used to demonstrate application of numbweed.

If you go to dragonchoice.com and read Dragonchoice 2: Dragonchosen, they are having lessons on basic Weyr politics days before the Hatching. Remember, they don't all come in at the last minute - although it would make more sense to save formal classes until after the Hatching, when you know who needs the info.

I'm guessing newcomers would have basic chores while getting to know their way around the Weyr.

pern_queen_rider
20th June 2005, 11:45 PM
:Grins sheepishly: /between/ing is done once they are able to stay in flight...one pair each day then in groups

The Harper
24th June 2005, 09:30 AM
I nkow its not deemed as being all that accurate but in the DLGTP there is a chapter about weyrling training including the bit where a Weyrling Gradutes and his Wingleader saying The Weyrleader has asked if i would fly with you during the next fall.

Greenrider Tresa
24th June 2005, 11:16 PM
Well, looks like someone else has made all the points I was going for, since I just lost my post!

How many months do your lessons last? My guide is set up for 18 months, if you a peek, I can e-mail it to you.
And I think the golds should learn more than just flights. There's also learning to run a Weyr, diplomacy, records, calming other dragons when injured, that sort of thing. Month 13 on my guide goes into more detail and involves the Weyrwoman in the goldrider's training. It helps to keep them busy when their classmates are learning how flame, for example. And gets any silly notions out of peoples' heads about how glamorous it is to be a goldrider. ;)

Tresa

Lady Arwyn
24th June 2005, 11:39 PM
Well, looks like someone else has made all the points I was going for, since I just lost my post!

How many months do your lessons last? My guide is set up for 18 months, if you a peek, I can e-mail it to you.
And I think the golds should learn more than just flights. There's also learning to run a Weyr, diplomacy, records, calming other dragons when injured, that sort of thing. Month 13 on my guide goes into more detail and involves the Weyrwoman in the goldrider's training. It helps to keep them busy when their classmates are learning how flame, for example. And gets any silly notions out of peoples' heads about how glamorous it is to be a goldrider. ;)
Generally goldriders are taught the basics about being a rider with their Hatching Class, and when the other Weyrlings are ready to go off to learn to fly, chew firestone, formations, etc, the young goldrider goes off to the other goldriders to be trained by them in the completley different training that they get. Not just goldrider duties in the domestic and diplomatic side of the Weyr, but use of flamethrowers and the different formations and strategies they use.

The mating stuff would also be seperate, probably just before the young greens start rising to mate, which for the greens is probably right around the same time they are ready to fly in a Wing. This is appearantly some months later for the golds (Ramoth was just over 2 turns old when she first flew to mate).