PDA

View Full Version : The Littlest Dragon Boy

Robsia
29th July 2005, 11:34 AM
When I was about ten years old, I was given a collection of fantasy/sci-fi short storeis in one volume that had this story in it.

Many years later I began reading the Pern books and, although it took me a while, it finally clicked that this story that I had read so many years earlier was actually part of the same universe.

However, we got rid of the book a long time ago.

Does anyone know whether it is still available in the UK at all.

It's the story of K'van's Impression of Heth.

Kath
29th July 2005, 11:41 AM
This is the story "The Smallest Dragonboy", and is published in one of Anne's collection of short stories "Get off the Unicorn", which should still be in print in the UK and elsewhere, I believe.

Robsia
29th July 2005, 11:42 AM
Found it - I did what I should have done first and searched. Amazon has it in "A Gift of Dragons".

Hans
29th July 2005, 03:25 PM
Yep, is in both mentioned Anthologies and, still available in several school/children's editions.

Monkeysrule
29th July 2005, 06:52 PM
And some seventh-grade textbooks.

Hans
30th July 2005, 11:28 AM
That's what I meant by school editions :)

Jax
30th July 2005, 02:40 PM
Robsia, if you're like me and would rather go for the cheaper option, I believe that Get Off the Unicorn would be the cheaper version to buy, since it's paperback, and a Gift of Dragons is hardcover, if still a small book, I don't /think/ they have brought it out in paperback, though I can't be certain...
Of course, if you're also like me, you'd want both copies anyways ;) There is also another story about Pern that has only been printed in a Gift of Dragons about a set of twins.

Hans
30th July 2005, 05:44 PM
A Gift of Dragons is not available in paperback.

Robsia
30th July 2005, 07:43 PM
Robsia, if you're like me and would rather go for the cheaper option, I believe that Get Off the Unicorn would be the cheaper version to buy, since it's paperback, and a Gift of Dragons is hardcover, if still a small book, I don't /think/ they have brought it out in paperback, though I can't be certain...
Of course, if you're also like me, you'd want both copies anyways ;) There is also another story about Pern that has only been printed in a Gift of Dragons about a set of twins.

Also Runner of Pern is in "The Gift of Dragons", which I haven't read yet.

I wuld rather have a book full of Pern stories, two of which I haven't read, than a book full of non-Pern stories.

They have it at £9.09 at Amazon, so I'll get it from them.

Hans
30th July 2005, 08:27 PM
Also Runner of Pern is in "The Gift of Dragons", which I haven't read yet.

I wuld rather have a book full of Pern stories, two of which I haven't read, than a book full of non-Pern stories.

They have it at £9.09 at Amazon, so I'll get it from them.
You won't regret it then, Robsia! :)

BZWingZero
1st August 2005, 07:45 PM
Excellent choice! And The Littlest Dragonboy is what got me hooked on the series too..

Kath
2nd August 2005, 06:52 AM
And The Littlest Dragonboy is what got me hooked on the series too..

Can someone just answer my curiosity here. Is the title difference (Smallest/Littlest) just a UK/US publication thing? Because that word, "littlest", really grates on my UK ears.

Robsia
2nd August 2005, 12:20 PM
Can someone just answer my curiosity here. Is the title difference (Smallest/Littlest) just a UK/US publication thing? Because that word, "littlest", really grates on my UK ears.

I haven't a clue whether it is called the littlest, or the smallest - was drawing on a twenty year old memory.

However, I don't think grammatically there is anything wrong with "littlest". It's just a matter of preference.

Monkeysrule
2nd August 2005, 10:06 PM
It's Smallest here. But I don't know whether the UK has Littlest or Smallest.

Greenrider Tresa
2nd August 2005, 10:20 PM
Well I don't think this story is listed with an alternate title right beside it the way DE/RSR are...

Anareth
2nd August 2005, 11:11 PM
I've always seen it as "The Smallest Dragonboy" and I've never seen a UK version. Of course I haven't seen a textbook version, either, just "Get Off the Unicorn" and "A Gift of Dragons".

Robsia
2nd August 2005, 11:14 PM
Can I just reiterate that I was going off a twenty-year old memory (possibly more in fact) which could easily have been wrong . . .

Can you remember the titles of all the stories you read twenty odd years ago ;)

Monkeysrule
3rd August 2005, 04:14 AM
Can I just reiterate that I was going off a twenty-year old memory (possibly more in fact) which could easily have been wrong . . .

Can you remember the titles of all the stories you read twenty odd years ago ;)
Yeah, but others have also called it "littlest".

granath
3rd August 2005, 04:27 AM
Indeed others have also called it The Littlest Dragonboy, although it's Smallest. It's odd how Littlest has stuck with so many people, including me at one time.

Kath
3rd August 2005, 10:12 AM
The reason I asked, was that I've seen a lot of web-references to "Littlest", so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is published under that name somewhere - and was wondering if anyone knew of any real examples. I hope I didn't cause you any offense Robsia - I intended no criticism of anyone's memory, and certainly wouldn't expect accuracy from anyone on those timescales.

Cheryl
3rd August 2005, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's never been released under the title of Littlest Dragonboy (checking bibliographic sources), but I too once misremembered it this way...

Robsia
3rd August 2005, 08:19 PM
The reason I asked, was that I've seen a lot of web-references to "Littlest", so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is published under that name somewhere - and was wondering if anyone knew of any real examples. I hope I didn't cause you any offense Robsia - I intended no criticism of anyone's memory, and certainly wouldn't expect accuracy from anyone on those timescales.

Sorry - was feeling prickly over the whole "stockings" fiasco elsewhere ;)

Greenrider Tresa
4th August 2005, 02:26 AM
I think I mentioned on the OKT how I had read the story, but didn't remember the title at all. Though I did recognize it when I read it again, probably years later. Didn't even remember the author's name. And that was mabye 10-14 years ago, and I usually think I've a pretty good memory. So Robsia shouldn't feel bad about a little mixup.